My Bloviation Celebration!

"One woman's life journey of love, laughter, and lipgloss..."

samedi, mai 06, 2006

SP8, Panhellenic, And Craftery...

Hi everyone. Hope you're having a great weekend! All's well Chez Smith. Hope you and yours are doing well also.

Each year, the Alumnae Panhellenic Association Of Greater Kansas City holds a brunch and recognizes the most outstanding sorority alumna in the Kansas City area. Each of the alumnae chapters submits a nominee, and one woman is selected as the "Kansas City Greek Woman Of The Year." This year, that event was held today and it was wonderful. The Panhellenic this year decided to make a small change. Instead of only one woman being chosen as the "Kansas City Greek Woman Of The Year," they honored individual women, one from each sorority, as "Women Of The Year." It was very nice. Our winner is just amazing. I've blogged about her before. She was initiated into our organization four years after my father was born. She's served as a local and a national officer in our organization, and she's been a tremendous support and cheerleader to me in these last several years as I've led our chapter as President. The Panhellenic also uses this event to honor local collegiate women (both Greek and non-Greek) who are awarded Panhellenic grants and loans to continue their educational pursuits. It's just a wonderful event, and I've been honored to represent my organization and to attend this event for the last several years. Panhellenic is so different at the alumnae level. No more is the focus "competition" (for the best potential members, best fraternities to pair/party with, etc.). Rather, the focus now is on mutual support. If you are a sorority alumna, I really encourage you to both join your particular organization's local alumnae chapter (if there's one close by) as well as your local alumnae Panhellenic. See the National Panhellenic Conference website to learn more about alumna Panhellenic opportunities in your area.

On the sorority thread, one of my sisters recently adopted a beautiful baby girl. I've spent the last two hours making a congratulatory card for her. If I could get my digital camera to cooperate, I'd post a photo for you. I'll work on that tonight. More to come, hopefully.

Speaking of more to come (I am ALL about the segue tonight!), it's time for another round of the Secret Pal game. I am so excited! I've really had a good time making new friends (and being spoiled rotten!) throughout the last two SP events. I am sure this time around will be no different. They ask that all the SPs post responses to questions to help our Pals shop for us. So here we go...Jen's SP8 questionnaire....

1. What is/are your favorite yarn/s to knit with? What fibers do you absolutely *not* like?
I am starting to get away from the Lion Brand yarns. I am evolving in to a "yarn snob," I guess you could say. :) My favorite yarns are Lorna's Laces Shepherd Bulky (which I can't find ANYWHERE in this area) Plymouth's Baby Alpaca Grande. I'd like to try other yarns that are thick and bulky and warm. I also like cotton and sock yarns.

2. What do you use to store your needles/hooks in?
I have a beautiful crochet hook pouch that a previous Pal gave me. When I travel, I use a lipgloss holder from Mary Kay. :)

3. How long have you been knitting crocheting? Would you consider your skill level to be beginner, intermediate or advanced?
I am not a knitter, but I'd love to become one. I just can't quite seem to get the hang of it. I've been crocheting for, oh, 3 or 4 years, give or take. I'd consider myself an advanced beginner.

4. Do you have an Amazon or other online wish list?
Yes. I have both an Amazon list and a general list. They're linked here on my blog. Look to the right.

5. What's your favorite scent? (for candles, bath products etc.)
Spearmint is probably my biggest favorite when it comes to candles and bath products/lotions. I also love vanilla and Earth-y scents (rain, rainforest, beach, etc.) My favorite scents from Yankee Candle include Berry Bramble, Chocolate Chip Cookie, Home Sweet Home, Mandarin Cranberry, and the Sampler/votives in Spearmint and Saratoga. I also love Colonial Candles (Merlot, Vanilla Mintleaf and their White Zinfandel and Winter Woods fragrances...oh, and I am DYING to try the new Orchid Sake!)

6. Do you have a sweet tooth? Favorite candy?
Yes, unfortunately! :) And my waist shows it!! :) I love milk chocolate and caramel (or milk chocolate and mint together). I also am a huge fan of white chocolate. I am addicted to the Lindor White Chocolate Truffles and I also love those little Biscoff cookies (the plain ones) that they serve on airplanes. The only thing I can't eat is honey. This makes it hard because lots of chocolate has honey in it. :(

7. What other crafts or Do-It-Yourself things do you like to do? Do you spin?
I am very "in" to homemade card making, and I am a Stampin' Up junkie. I would like to learm how to sew and also about scrapbooking. I don't spin.

8. What kind of music do you like? Can your computer/stereo play MP3s? (if your buddy wants to make you a CD)
This is such a hard question to answer. I like all kinds of music. I'm addicted to XM Radio, and I love their smooth jazz stations. I also love Celtic music. I am a Taylor Hicks fan (SOUL PATROL!) and I love, gosh, so many artists (Sade, Secret Garden, Kenny G., Josh Groban, Joshua Kadison...the list goes on and on. Check out my MySpace page for a better listing of the musicians I love.) Yes, my car stereo can play MP3s.

9. What's your favorite color? Or--do you have a color family/season/palette you prefer? Any colors you just can't stand?
I really love all colors. Although I can't see myself in orange or yellow. My hair and eyes are brown, so I am trying to wear more browns.

10. What is your family situation? Do you have any pets?
Husband (married for 4 years, together for 6) and daughter (4 years old) and killer Boston Terrier (will be 2 this fall)

11. Do you wear scarves, hats, mittens or ponchos?
Yes to all. Well, technically not all. I'd wear ponchos if I had them. But yes to the others!

12. What is/are your favorite item/s to knit crochet?
Gifty-things...scarves, mittens, blankets, etc. I'd like to branch out and try some new items.

13. What are you knitting crocheting right now?Astonishingly enough, nothing! I've got a few project ideas in mind, though...

14. Do you like to receive handmade gifts?
Absolutely.

15. Do you prefer straight or circular needles? Bamboo, aluminum, plastic?
When I was trying to learn to knit, I loved the bamboo needles I had. For crochet hooks, I like the aluminum ones.

16. Do you own a yarn winder and/or swift?
No, but I think they are wicked cool and I'd love to have one someday.

17. How did you learn to knit?
I took two classes and did some self-teaching (a la "Knitting For Dummies"). I have a l-o-n-g way to go in the knitting game before I'm even close to needle competent. My passion is crocheting, and I learned from some of my lady colleagues. One had made me a baby blanket when Erin was born and that sparked the interest. Then she and another colleague sat me down and helped me learn.

18. How old is your oldest UFO?
About 3 years. :(

19. What is your favorite holiday?
Christmas, Valentine's Day, Mothers' Day

20. Is there anything that you collect?
Not really. For a long time, I collected Longaberger baskets. No longer. I still am buying their pottery (in the Heritage Green pattern), but that's about it. I also used to collect crystal figurines. But no, I don't collect anything currently.

21. Any books, yarns, needles or patterns out there you are dying to get your hands on? What knitting crocheting magazine subscriptions do you have?
I've got a ton of books listed over on my wishlists. I get "Crochet" magazine in the mail.

22. Are there any new techniques you'd like to learn?
Sock crocheting (I have a book, but need to sit down and really work on it) and knitting

23. Are you a sock knitter crocheter? What are your foot measurements?
See above. 9 1/2. Big feet, yes I know. :)

24. When is your birthday? (mm/dd)
February 22, 1972


OK, I'm off for dinner. Have a great rest-of-the-weekend, folks.

1 Comments:

At 5/09/2006 09:06:00 PM, Anonymous Anonyme said...

Hi there! This is your SP8, and I just wanted to let you know you are claimed. Your questionnaire answers are giving me lots to ponder...I am a crocheter, too, but mainly knit. It will be fun to have a crocheter to spoil!

 

Enregistrer un commentaire

<< Home