My Bloviation Celebration!

"One woman's life journey of love, laughter, and lipgloss..."

dimanche, avril 30, 2006

United 93

On a stunningly gorgeous autumn day nearly five years ago, four commercial airliners were hijacked and used as weapons of mass destruction successfully intent upon killing as many innocent American lives as possible.

Seven days later, my daughter was prematurely born.

Almost five years later, one film brings it all back. I saw "United 93" tonight.

Not a day has gone by since September 11, 2001 that I haven't thought about that terrible day. I remember exactly where I was sitting and what I was doing when I learned of both Trade Center attacks. I remember walking alongside Loyce and Larry, trying to find a way to waddle my frightened, pregnant body all the way out to the west parking lot of our building as armed guards and police swarmed our site. I remember thinking it completely odd that the local radio station in my car as I drove home played music and carried on about its business as if absolutely nothing were happening. Because my husband is a senior engineer for a major telephone company, he was unable to leave his office that day. And so I spent the day at home, frozen to my television and crying and frightened and ashamed of the world in which I would soon be delivering my innocent baby. In the years that have passed since that terrible day, not one 24-hour period has elapsed without my thoughts returning to that tragic time. It's been one of the moments in my life that I'd consider to be "defining," and I knew when I'd first learned about this movie that I'd have to go see it. I encourage you to do so as well. We can't ever forget those amazing people and what they sacrificed. They were fearless. Strong. Unafraid. Brave. If only they'd had more time...perhaps if they'd started their attack sooner, they could have recovered the aircraft and returned it to safety by landing at an airport close by. I don't know. I do know that they make me proud to be an American. How proud those families must be. Deservedly. Please go see this film. Please.

Hi guys. Sorry that it's been so long since my last post. Curt's grandmother took ill and had exploratory surgery (she pulled through - more on that in a moment) and work has been insanely busy (more to come on that, too). Earlier today, my sorority's alumnae chapter ended the year with a wonderful salad luncheon and charity auction, and I inducted next year's President and Executive Board. I am sad to pass this baton on, but I am proud of the time I spent as President of the chapter and I am so grateful for the support and love these women showed to me. We had another card exchange in our neighborhood, and again, I waited until the final hour to get them done (will post photos soon). What else....still no closer to finding out about the job I interviewed for last month. I'm still DVR'ing "All My Children" (Michael E. Knight's recent scenes have been FANTASTIC), and I'm still crazy in love with my Taylor Hicks and I need to find the time to crochet (and blog!) more often and I'm sad that more of you aren't leaving me comments here and on my MySpace page (although I will admit some responsibility here...perhaps you'd leave me comments if I'd actually POST here!) That's about all. Status quo - busy and happy and well.

Please keep Curt's grandmother in your prayers. It's a long story, but there were some concerns that perhaps gangrene had set in to one or two of her toes. After exploratory surgery Friday, we're thrilled to learn that she may only have to lose one toe (and not her whole foot)...or she may not need surgery at all. Please keep her in your thoughts and prayers, friends.

We had visitors this week from our Indianapolis office. Four of the HR folks who will be assuming our little DEU once we are BRAC'd out came and spent the week with us to learn what we do and how we do it. They were VERY nice people, and I really enjoyed getting to know them and helping them to learn about our operations. It makes us all feel so much better knowing that we're passing off our work to people who want to do it well...who care. As I understand it, our office will be officially realigned to Indianapolis come this July, and we'll remain assigned to it, but duty-stationed here in Kansas City. In my heart of hearts, I hope to be out of here and settled in to my new job before then. I am ready to make my move and get camp set up where I will be post-BRAC. I just want to leave of my own will and not via a separation SF-50 and "lights out."

OK, I am off to snuggle up to my family unit (or "unit family," as Erin likes to call it). Have a great rest-of-the-weekend, guys.