My Bloviation Celebration!

"One woman's life journey of love, laughter, and lipgloss..."

jeudi, avril 13, 2006

The Great American Songbook, Part Une

OK, I've been wondering all day today what next week will bring on "American Idol." The songs Rod Stewart covered on his four "Great American Songbook" albums are some of the most time-honored and beautiful songs. And it's hard when you go back through and listen to them to try to find the one or two which would be best for the contestants. For some of them (like Elliott and Paris and Katharine), the choices are abundant. They fit well within this genre of music. And then I look at Chris and Kellie and can't even come close to finding one or two of these songs that they could bring a splash of color and originality to. I've got a handful of potentials here, and it'll be neat to see how many of these (IF any of these, rather) are performed next week. OK, here we go...

For my amazing Taylor, I see him seeing something fun and up-tempo. If we could make it romantic or sexy in any way, even better. "Makin' Whoopee" was my original choice for him, but I think he'd do "What A Wonderful World" beautifully. "My One And Only Love" might also be a good fit for him.

Katharine, I imagine, had a ball picking her song for this performance. There are so many that her beautiful voice could bring a sparkle to. If Taylor doesn't do "Makin' Whoopee," I think Katharine should. And she should flirt it up a bit...wink and shimmy a bit and really enjoy the romance of the song. Or maybe she could do "A Kiss To Build A Dream On."

I wasn't familiar with "Blue Skies," but the SECOND that I heard it, I thought of Paris. It's SO her, and I can so easily see her really having a good time with it.

My choice for Elliott? "You Send Me."

And for Chris? This was a hard one, and I'm not entirely sure of my selection here. How about "The Nearness Of You"?

I can SO see Ace doing "Crazy, She Calls Me."

And Kellie? "Taking A Chance On Love."

That's it for my predictions. I'll be interesting to see what happens next Tuesday night!

Thank you SO MUCH for the comments, everyone! Please keep them coming! It's nice to know that (a) caramel macchiatos and (b) hating Bucky Covington are traits I share with my friends in Cyberspace. :)

Have a great night, everyone!