My Bloviation Celebration!

"One woman's life journey of love, laughter, and lipgloss..."

mardi, mars 07, 2006

In My Enchanted Garden...

Hi everyone.

It was a good day. I am actually s-l-o-w-l-y beginning to make a contribution in my new workplace. Of course, I'm not DEU certified yet, which makes it next to impossible to do much of anything. However, I did get to use the automated system, do some preliminary qualifications analyses, and basically got a good feel for what the rest of my HR career will look like (well, so long as I stay within this agency). Not bad. Not bad at all. More to come as I continue to learn. My DEU training is next week, and I am really looking forward to it.

In 1995, I ended a very bad romantic relationship. Everyone's got these "woe-is-me-love-done-me-wrong" stories, so I'll spare you the bloviated rhetoric. During the time immediately following my breakup, something miraculous happened to me. I found myself. I'd spent so many years working to please others...to win the favor and love of those around me (and tolerating an insurmountable amount of bullshit in the process) and here I was, a mid-twenties young woman with absolutely no sense of self. Self-esteem? Forget about it. I didn't even know who I was. God blessed me with the courage and the strength to abandon quite possibly the most heartless, selfish individual I've ever known, and although it wasn't easy, I survived. I did a lot of introspection in those days, and found myself (as I've done my whole life) using music as part of my healing and recovery. Right around that same time, a new artist, Kevin Kern, released his amazing debut album called "In The Enchanted Garden". I fell in love right away. It's all instrumental piano music...very soothing, very calming, and very comforting. It brought me peace and I listened to it over and over and over again. Throughout the years, I listened to that CD a time or two and always enjoyed it, and it always made me proud. I could feel in that music just how far I'd come. This past weekend, I re-discovered Kevin, and I am so, so thrilled. His new CD, "Imagination's Light", is simply fantastic. Today, I sent Kevin an EMAIL via his website, and I was doubly thrilled that he wrote back to me. Those messages appear below:

-----Original Message-----
From: MyLastName, JENNIFER [mailto:MyUserId@MyDomainName]
Sent: Tuesday, March 07, 2006 7:18 AM
To: kevin@kevinkern.com
Subject: Kevin Kern - Letter From A Fan

Hello Kevin,

My name is Jennifer MyLastNameDeleted and I live in Kansas. In 1996, I discovered your music while going through a terrible period in my life. I listened to "In The Enchanted Garden" over and over again, and it brought so much peace and comfort to me during a time in my life when I felt very empty and broken. Years later, I am so happy to have "re-discovered" you. I bought "Imagination's Light" last weekend and I love it. Thank you for the gift of your music and for the peace and the comfort it brings.

I sure hope that you come to the Kansas City area for a concert! I will be watching your website for more information on tour dates and upcoming events.

Best wishes to you!

Jennifer


From: Kevin [mailto:kevin@kevinkern.com]
Sent: Tuesday, March 07, 2006 11:21 AM
To: MyEMAILAddress
Subject: RE: Kevin Kern - Letter From A Fan


Dear Jennifer,

Thanks so much for taking the time to write to me. I always appreciate hearing from people who have been touched by my music.
If you haven't done so, please take a moment to join our mailing list so we can keep you up-to-date on future concert appearances. We're always looking for new opportunities and we hope to come to visit Kansas City in the future.

Thanks again for your support and encouragement.

Peace,

Kevin

*********************

Kevin Kern
P.O. Box 460850
San Francisco, CA 94146 USA
kevin@kevinkern.com
www.kevinkern.com


Very cool indeed. Please stop by Kevin's website and check out his music. When you're in the mood for some quiet calm or some peaceful time to yourself, there's really nothing quite like it.

"Idol" wasn't anywhere near as good tonight as I'd hoped it'd be. Katharine was the night's strongest performance, with Mandisa as a close second. Paris just chose the wrong song, but she and Mandisa are still tied as my favorite of the female contestants. Melissa has a unique voice and her song choice was excellent, but I just don't think she's got what it'll take to stand up against these other amazing young women. Lisa's fantastic, but I hated her song. Ayla...wow. Go girl. Kinnik chose the perfect song, but I don't think her performance was as strong as it could have been. What can I say about Kellie? I fail to see why the entire world thinks she's so adorable. Cute? Yes. Not fabulous. She's got a good stage presence and an OK voice, but yikes, the "country bumpkin" routine is beginning to grate on my nerves. I realize that she's come from meager beginnings, but good gracious. Unfortunately, I am afraid that her "dumb hick" vibe will sail her right on through. My picks to leave this week? Melissa and Kinnik (although it should be Kellie, but somehow I doubt that will happen). Curt's prediction tonight is that Katharine will take the entire competition and be the next "Idol." I don't know. She's definitely got an amazing voice.

I've got an early day tomorrow, so I'm off. Be well and have a great Wednesday, everyone.