My Bloviation Celebration!

"One woman's life journey of love, laughter, and lipgloss..."

mardi, février 21, 2006

Will You Skate With Me?

Remember the 80s? Bright neon clothing and leg-warmers? The cute Duran Duran and Wham! boys? MTV when it actually played music videos? I had such a flashback to that time tonight. Erin's school had a skating party tonight. Yes, my friends, a skating party. God, I remember skating parties! Once a month at the horrible (another story for another day) Catholic school I attended, we were allowed to wear jeans and leave school early for a skating party. And it was all the rage. Who skated with whom? Did they play your favorite song? It was such a big, big deal. I also went every weekend with my friends to skate for a few hours and ogle at any cute boys who happened to be there that day. It's funny...looking back on that now. Tonight, the kids seemed all about just movingmovingmoving (or, rather, trying reaaaaallly hard not to fall down!) And the parents...the other children of the 80s...were out there too! Falling and laughing and consoling little injured ones. It was just so surreal. And they even played 80s' music! Wow. Miss Erin did pretty well for her first time out. She was pretty fearless at first! We had those kiddy, strappy-skate shoes on her, and she literally took off! Those didn't go as fast as she wanted, so we switched her over to the "big girl skates." Those, we found out, did go fast. VERY fast. And it scared the hell out of her! (Me too!) We switched her back to the kiddy skates and I shot some awesome video of her and her father out on the floor shaking their stuff. It was adorable to watch. Wow, was the music always that loud? And were the lights always so flashy? I am getting old, my friends. :)

It's funny that this little skating party should happen today. Don't ask me why, but the Myspace bug bit me and I started my own site there. (Now don't holler - I promise I will not abandon this blog!!!!) I just love that so many different people, to include my Bo Bice, are there. That's a rather nifty little site there. Anyhoo, I did some searches and found some of the people that I went to that horrible Catholic school with. My time at that school was probably the most unpleasant time in my life, and seeing those names (and photos!) on Myspace bubbled up some old memories. It's funny how things stick with you. I will be 34 tomorrow. I "graduated from eighth grade" (yes, we actually had eighth grade graduations - don't ask) in 1985. That's over 20 years ago. And yet a lot of the bitter taste that experience and some of those people left in me still resonates. You know, I see myself bloviating here and boring you all to tears with this retched story of pre-teen angst and misery, so I'll shut up before I go any further. Sorry, everyone. Oh, and please stop by and check out my Myspace site. If you're there, please "Friend" me. My poor little "Friends" section is bare!

OK, I am off to watch tonight's "American Idol" episode that I DVR'd. Sorry for the "peppy downward turn" to my blog entry tonight! Hope that you all have a great night.