My Bloviation Celebration!

"One woman's life journey of love, laughter, and lipgloss..."

dimanche, janvier 08, 2006

SP7 Questionnaire And An Update

Hi everyone. I need to get my SP7 questionnaire posted, so please pardon the quic-update-and-run. Mom's doing better, we had a dinner party last night (went well - smoked barbecued ribs, wild rice, baked beans, fruit salad, green salad, focaccia, and cherry cobbler), a girlfriend is starting her Arbonne business today and I am going to her home to support her, and I've got to get a birthday gift for my father (January 12th is the big day). There's your "Jen-Update-In-A-Nutshell." Now, the questionnaire...

1. Are you a yarn snob (do you prefer higher quality and/or natural fibers)?
Do you avoid Red Heart and Lion Brand?

I am becoming a yarn snob, but I can’t ever see myself totally avoiding RH and LB. I just love their wide availability and basic cost friendliness. The only yarn I can’t use at all is Lion Brand Homespun. I can’t see the stitches. I do love to go to higher-end yarn stores and feel and play with all the gorgeous yarns, but have yet to really use them for myself. I *have*, though, used two higher-end yarns on gifts for others and they both blew RH and LB right out of the water - and those were Lorna’s Laces Shepherd Bulky and Plymouth Baby Alpaca Grande. I am not really answering this question, am I? OK, here’s the answer. I am a yarn snob in training. How’s that?

2. Do you spin? Crochet?
Crochet. I’ve never spun and I am trying to learn to knit to no avail. I can figure out how to knit, but I can’t get the stupid stitch off the needle without stretching whatever it is that I am trying to knit.

3. What do you use to store your needles/hooks in?
My SP6, Mindy, bought me a gorgeous crochet hook holder, and that’s what I use. Looks like it came from Asia. It’s gorgeous and soft and I love it. Before then, I was using a Mary Kay zippered lipgloss holder (hey, it worked!)

4. How long have you been knitting crocheting? Would you consider your skill level to be beginner, intermediate or advanced?
A few years now. I'd consider myself an advanced beginner.

5. Do you have an Amazon or other online wish list?
Yep, and both of my wishlists are posted here on my blog. Just look to the right under the "More About Your Minty Hostess(tm)" section.

6. What's your favorite scent? (for candles, bath products etc.)
Spearmint, vanilla, eucalyptus, cookies (oatmeal, chocolate chip), ocean/rain, wines (merlot, white zinfandel), blueberry muffin. Basically, anything that smells minty, clean, like nature, or like homemade goodies.

7. Do you have a sweet tooth? Favorite candy?
I love to eat and it shows. :) I am not much of a chocolate fiend, but I do love milk chocolates…can’t get much in to dark chocolate. I can’t stand honey, so I always have to double-check to make sure that whatever I get doesn’t have honey in it. I do love those Biscoff cookies that you get on airlines, and I also love oatmeal scotchies and caramel/chocolate combos.

8. What other crafts or Do-It-Yourself things do you like to do?
I am an avid card maker, and I am a Stampin’ Up junkie.

9. What kind of music do you like? Can your computer/stereo play MP3s? (if your buddy wants to make you a CD)
Yes, my PC and car stereos can play MP3s. I like all kinds of music, except for the really hard metal/rock and most rap. Anything that's violent or excessively vulgar is a huge turn-off for me. I really have a wide musical taste gap, and what I listen to depends on my mood. Here are some of my favorites - Bo Bice, Josh Groban, Secret Garden, Olivia Newton-John, Kevin Kern, Jim Brickman, ABBA, Journey, Sade, Rob Thomas, Peabo Bryson, Melissa Etheridge, k.d. lang, Gorky Park, The Scorpions, Daryl Hall, Kenny G., Jet, Cake, Faith Hill, Wynonna Judd, and the list goes on and on. My XM Radio dial is almost always tuned to smooth jazz, so I'd probably classify that as my all-time favorite type of music.

10. What's your favorite color? Or--do you have a color family/season/palette you prefer? Any colors you just can't stand?
I really love all colors, so this one’s easy. If I have to choose favorites, I’d say greens (emerald thru mint/lime), pinks, purples, and blues are my favorites. I do like off-reds (like smokey reds, rose-reds) too.

11. What is your family situation? Do you have any pets?
Wonderful spousal unit (also age 33, married almost 5 years); amazing daughter (4 years old); darling Boston Terrier (1 year old).

12. Do you wear scarves, hats, mittens or ponchos?
Yes to all. Well, I don’t wear ponchos, but only because I’ve never bought one. I’d love to have one, though.

13. What is/are your favorite yarn/s to knit with?
Lorna’s Laces Shepherd Bulky, Plymouth Baby Grande Alpaca, Patons 100% Classic Merino Wool, Lion Brand Fun Fur. I love BIG chunky yarns because they are warm, work up quickly, and the stitches are easy to see.

14. What fibers do you absolutely *not* like?
I don’t like scratchy yarns. Or thin yarns. Not a big fan of the Homespun or other curvy chunky yarns because they are difficult for me to see (I can’t ever find the stitches). I am, however, open to tips on how to use these yarns because they are so pretty! I also can’t use cashmere because I’m mildly allergic to it.

15. What is/are your current knitting crocheting obsession/s?
Pretty much scarves and quick gifts for others. I need to be better about making things for myself. I am dying to try crocheted socks and also a felted bag.

16. What is/are your favorite item/s to knit crochet?
Scarves, mittens, gifty-things.

17. What are you knitting crocheting right now?
I’m about 90% finished with Beth’s Little Star Afghan for my daughter in her school colors (royal and yellow) and I’m about 25% finished with a scarf for Red Scarf Project.

18. Do you like to receive handmade gifts?
Absolutely!

19. Do you prefer straight or circular needles?
When I did try to knit, I used straight needles. They were bamboo and I loved them. They were very easy to use. I’ve also tried plastic needles and they were harder to use. I’ve never tried circular needles. Are those easier?

20. Bamboo, aluminum, plastic?
Crochet hooks? Aluminim. Knitting needles? Bamboo.

21. Do you own a yarn winder and/or swift?
No.

22. How did you learn to knit/crochet?
Two women in my office taught me to crochet after one of them had made a gorgeous baby blanket for Erin when she was born. I just HAD to learn how because it was so pretty, and so they taught me. Knitting-wise, I took a class at Yarn Shop and More in Overland Park, but I’d been reading "Knitting For Dummies" and practicing for weeks prior, so that’s how I survived the class!

23. How old is your oldest UFO?
About 3 years old.

24. What is your favorite animated character or a favorite animal/bird?
Eeyore and Eric Cartman (from "South Park")

25. What is your favorite holiday?
Christmas.

26. Is there anything that you collect?
Not really. I did collect Longaberger baskets and pottery for a long time, but not so much any more. They are expensive and their quality and customer service have severely declined in the last several years. I went through an Eeyore period where I collected anything and everything Eeyore. I wouldn’t mind starting that up again.

27. What knitting magazine subscriptions do you have?
"Crochet" magazine.

28. Any books, yarns, needles or patterns out there you are dying to get your hands on?I've got lots of books on my Amazon wishlist. Hooks-wise, I'd love to get an aluminim "L" and "M" hook set, but I can't find them anywhere.

29. Are there any new techniques you'd like to learn?
I’d really love to learn to knit. I love how knitted/purled items look. They are just spectacular. I’d love to experiment more with felting.

30. Are you a sock knitter? What are your foot measurements?
I’ve never crocheted a pair of socks, but I’d really love to try. I have BIG feet (9½ wide).

31. When is your birthday? (mm/dd)
February 22nd.


Have a good day, everyone!

1 Comments:

At 1/12/2006 07:07:00 AM, Anonymous Anonyme said...

I'm so excited to be spoiling you! This will be fun!!

 

Enregistrer un commentaire

<< Home