My Bloviation Celebration!

"One woman's life journey of love, laughter, and lipgloss..."

vendredi, janvier 06, 2006

One Step Closer...

Anyone who knows our family knows that my mother has a strong propensity for getting bronchial infections. A strong one. In late 1995, she got what we all thought was "just a cold." Within a two week period (and under the care of quite possibly the world's most incompetent physician), her "tiny cold" became full-blown double pneumonia. She was dying right in front of our eyes, and it absolutely horrified me. She refused to slow down, only staying home from work because her body shut down and she had no choice. She'd still get up to take Daddy to work, to cook, to do anything that she felt she could do. And I'd lay in bed with her, hold her, and cry and pray. On December 26th of that year (yes, this happened over Christmas), my father finally had her admitted to the hospital, where fantastic doctors and respiratory professionals returned her to health. Until the day I die, I will never stop loving those people for taking such amazing care of her and bringing her back to the life she had before she got so sick. More than once in the years that have followed, she's taken sick with a cold (as we all do), and every SINGLE time, I worry that we'll have a repeat episode. Today, we had an almost repeat episode.

I blogged not long ago that she had pneumonia, but that it was mild. She seemed to be on the mend, and appeared to be healthy when we were home for Christmas last week. All this week, she's sounded froggy voice-wise, and mentioned not feeling well. She actually took two days off in a one week period, which is UNHEARD OF for her. I knew then that she was really sick. This morning, it was a return trip to the hospital (same one, thank God). Daddy called me at the office and told me the news. They'd X-ray'd her, put her on oxygen, and taken blood to test and see what exactly was going on. Many tests, lots of oxygen, and two strong IVs later, she was released to go home with strong drugs and a stern warning to take it easy. She just has bronchitis - no pneumonia, thank God. And I am so glad that she went to the ER and got help. She's such a go-go-go getter...always on the move and never slowing down to take care of herself. Hell, today she was more worried about all of US being worried about her! That's so typical Mom...always putting everyone else first. I love her so much, and knowing that she is where she needs to be to be on the mend makes my heart so happy.

She had an amazing prayer network behind her today, and I need to come right out and make an incredibly bold statement. Without exception, I am blessed with the best friends in the world. Within moments of the news of her illness, my friends, colleagues, and sorority sisters flooded in prayers and well wishes for health for my mother. One of my very dearest friends (you've heard me call her D(2) here on my blog) not only lifted her up in prayer, but also called in a prayer request to a local Christian radio station and also to her online friends in a Christian chat/prayer group that she uses. My mother and I were both moved, almost to tears. To all of you, thank you from the bottom of my heart. As I told my beautiful D(2), you all are more amazing than you imagine.

Please keep the prayers comin', folks. Every single good thought and every single prayer makes all the difference. My prayers are with all of you, too.