My Bloviation Celebration!

"One woman's life journey of love, laughter, and lipgloss..."

jeudi, novembre 10, 2005

Isn't It Wonderful...

...how one tiny gesture of love and friendship can turn your entire week around?

Another Gift From My SP!

As I blogged earlier, this has not been a pleasant week for me. Today was about the worst of it, professionally anyway, and all day long, I wondered why I'd even bothered. Why did I bother coming in? Why did I give this day any of my energy, when what I really wanted to do was sleep and rest and hide away from the world? And I got home not only to my amazing family, but also to a wonderful surprise from my beautiful Secret Pal. What a ray of sunshine! The Lorna's Laces yarn is absolutely gorgeous, the truffles look SCRUMPTIOUS (hands off, Curt and Erin!), and I can't wait to look at the crochet calendar and "companion!" And that hook bag...yowza! Pretty! I've been storing all of my crochet hooks in a small Mary Kay bag that one of my sorority sisters gave me (she sells MK), and now it's nice to see that my hooks have a beautiful home of their own. Thank you ten thousand times over, Secret Pal! (*hugs to you*)

State Farm called today. Apparently the menace-to-society who caused my accident yesterday has indeed called in a claim. Let's hope that they get my car in and out quick, quick, quick. I don't need to miss any of my life because of this stupid fender-bender.

Last night, Curtis and I went to one of those "complimentary, get-to-know-you" sessions with a local financial planner. I've thought for a long time that it'd be a good idea for us to get a solid financial plan in place...one that allowed us to live very comfortably in retirement while putting Erin through, if she so chose, Harvard or Yale (or Baker!). I strongly believe it's a good idea to be conscious of one's investments, and careful in how decisions are made regarding savings and planning. And so I really thought this was a good idea. Until the fee ($500 per financial plan...every two years!) and the high-pressure sales pitch came. I just about lost my mind. $500 damned dollars to serve as an ADVISER?! For five-hundred-damned-dollars, you'd damned well better be making money (CA$H money) for me twenty-four-freakin'-seven while washing my clothes, telling me how thin and gorgeous I am, and pampering me from head to toe (manicure and pedicure, anyone?) While I am sure that their advice is sage and smart, I'm just not certain I need to pay $500 for it. I've yet to do this, but something tells me that if I Google or YAHOO! the string "how to develop a financial plan," I'd come up with maaaaaaaaaany different templates and approaches. So tell me, friends, is the initial investment worth it? Should we actually sign on with a formal, official financial planner? Or can we do just as well on our own? We're smart, well-educated people. We can do this on our own (with some minimal assistance), right?

Dammit, I thought "The Apprentice" was on at 9 (it's 8:38) and my darling husband is telling me it's on right now. I didn't set the damned DVR to capture it, either. Grrrrowl. I'm off before I miss "ER." Night, folks!

(Oh, before I go, check out this precious photo of my Maggy...

Grouchy Boston!

She doesn't look grouchy, does she? *grin* Goodnight, friends!)