My Bloviation Celebration!

"One woman's life journey of love, laughter, and lipgloss..."

jeudi, septembre 15, 2005

I'm FEELIN' The LOVE, Baby!

Hi everyone!

I just have a quick second, but there are two very, very important things I need to get posted here in BlogVille(tm):

A. First and very definitely foremost, thank you SO MUCH to the lovely Diane for the beautiful homemade stitch markers! My digital camera is not being cooperative, but I will post a photo here when (if?) it becomes so! I've always relied on safety pins and those little plastic stitch marker jobbies, so having some homemade pretty ones is a definite change for the better. These are so pretty. Thanks, Diane! :)

B. I have signed up for a Secret Pal exchange on top of my ROAK. I guess you could say I'm all about spreadin' the love! :) Here are the questions they've asked all of the Secret Pals to answer:

1. Are you a yarn snob (do you prefer higher quality and/or natural fibers)? Do you avoid Red Heart and Lion Brand? Or is it all the same to you?
I have a strange answer to this question. I am trying to become a yarn snob, but I am not doing such a good job at it! Does that make sense? I am a crocheter and not a knitter, and almost all of the crochet patterns I've got (and that I find online) all call for the generics (Red Heart, TLC, etc.) I've been to several local yarn shops and absolutely love to touch and play with the pretty, higher end yarns, but I guess I am just not "in" to them. Maybe because I am still learning and I don't want to spend beaucoup dollars on a yarn that I can't do justice to. Does that make sense? I will say that I'm falling in love with Lorna's Laces and Buttons by Naturally and Jelli Beenz by Plymouth, but are they considered higher-end yarns? OK, I am not really answering this question. :) Here's the answer - no, I'm not. But I wouldn't mind being introduced to what life as a yarn snob would be like. :)

2. Do you spin? Crochet?
I am a crochet addict! Not much of a knitter...it's too complicated!! Of course, I said the same thing about crochet, and I kept at it and at it until I figured it out. I need to do the same with knitting. I just can't figure out how to move (and where to PUT) my hands! And no, I'm not a spinner.

3. Do you have any allergies? (smoke, pets, fibers, perfume, etc.)
Not really. I am not a smoker and don't really like the smell of it. I have seasonal allergies, but thanks to a wonderful otolaryngologist and drugs, I am basically symptom-free. :)

4. How long have you been knitting crocheting?
I've been crocheting for, oh, three years now, give or take. Knitting, well, I just took my first class earlier this summer and every so often, I try to do it. Not much luck on that end.

5. Do you have an Amazon or other online wish list?
Yes. See here.

6. What's your favorite scent? (for candles, bath products etc.)
Spearmint, vanilla, blueberry, wines, cinnamon, eucalyptus, forest, and other nature-esque smells (rain, ocean, etc.) I am in love with the Mandarin Cranberry, Spearmint, Vanilla Cookie, and Home Sweet Home fragrances from Yankee Candle and the Fine Merlot, Fine White Zinfandel, vanilla+mintleaf, and Winter Woods fragrances from Colonial At Home.

7. Do you have a sweet tooth?
Yes! I love anything milk chocolate, especially if it's got mint or caramel with it. Not much of a dark chocolate fan, and I don't like honey, so I always double-check anything with caramel in it to make sure there's no honey inside.

8. What other crafts or Do-It-Yourself things do you like to do?
I'm a cardmaker. I am addicted to Stampin' Up products and love to make homemade cards.

9. What kind of music do you like? Can your computer/stereo play MP3s? (if your buddy wants to make you a CD)
I love all kinds of music. My favories include lighter sounds...things you'd expect to hear on an audio vision channel or an adult contemporary channel. Josh Groban, Secret Garden, Olivia Newton-John, Kenny G., Sade, David Sanborn, kd lang, Barbra Streisand...etc. I love to sing, and so I try to surround myself with the music of amazing female vocalists. Singing their music makes my voice stronger, and forces me to learn a new way of performing. I have an addiction to Bo Bice from "American Idol" and I think his voice is just amazing. Other vocalists/groups that I love include Daryl Hall, Rod Stewart, Don Henley, Peabo Bryson, Cake, Scorpions, Gorky Park, Jet, and the list goes on and on. Basically, if it's music, I'll probably love it (unless it's gangsta-let's-kill-everyone-rap. And yes, my PC and car stereo can both play MP3s.

10. What's your favorite color? Or--do you have a color family/season/palette you prefer? Any colors you just can't stand?
My favorite colors are greens, pinks, blues, creams, and black. I don't crochet well with dark shades (dark navy, black, etc.) because I have a really hard time finding the stitches. Any advice on how best I can fix that problem would be greatly appreciated. :) I basically like all colors. I'm easy to please.

11. What is your family situation? Do you have any pets?
Married, mom of a little one (she'll be 4 this weekend), and owner of Maggy, the world's most adorable Boston Terrier.

12. What are your life dreams? (really stretching it here, I know)
To see my daughter grow up healthy and happy and having a good life. To continue my involvement with my sorority and to become a national officer. To lose a boatload of weight and feel comfortable in my own skin more often than not. To really have the courage to stand up and sing in public on a more recurrent basis than the occasional karaoke experience. To become an "expert" crocheter.

13. What is/are your favorite yarn/s to knit crochet with?
I don't think I really have a favorite, per se.

14. What fibers do you absolutely *not* like?
Anything scratchy against the skin. I also hate yarns that split mid-stitch.

15. What is/are your current knitting crocheting obsession/s?
I am working on an afghan for "a very special friend" right now. Once that's done, I imagine I'll take a crack at the beautiful star afghan making its way around the crochet boards.

16. What is/are your favorite item/s to knit crochet?
Scarves, mittens, blankets...anything gift-able.

17. What are you knitting crocheting right now?
In my WIP folder: my "afghan for a very special friend," followed by a sweater for my little girl and a hat/scarf combo for myself and finally, weaving in the ends on a shawl I made for a mystery person. :)

18. What do you think about ponchos?
I love them!

19. Do you prefer straight or circular needles?
In my very limited knitting experience, I've only ever used straight needles, but I've heard that circulars are easier. Is that true?

20. Bamboo, aluminum, plastic?
Knitting needles? Oh goodness, bamboo all the way. Crochet hooks? Aluminum.

21. Are you a sock knitter?
Nope. Nor a sock crocheter, although I was given a great sock pattern by the wonderful Noreen! I will work on socks for Christmas gifts, I imagine.

22. How did you learn to knit?
It was largely self-taught, via using books I'd checked out of the library and websites. I did take a class earlier this summer, which was helpful.

23. How old is your oldest UFO?
Oh wow - I've got a blanket I've had unfinished since, wow, March of 2004? It's one of those patterns that looks much quicker than it actually is, and yikes, I've lost all the patience and desire I ever had to work on it!

24. What is your favorite animated character or a favorite animal/bird?
I am a huge fan of "South Park" on Comedy Central. Yes, I know, I'm going to hell.

25. What is your favorite holiday?
Christmas.

26. Is there anything that you collect?
Longaberger baskets and pottery are my biggest collection addiction. I've been trying to assemble their entire pottery collection since before I was married, and every year, I get a bit more of it. Expensive collection! :(

27. What knitting crocheting magazine subscriptions do you have?
"Crochet" magazine.

28. Any books out there you are dying to get your hands on?
A ton! Check out my Amazon Wish List.

29. Any patterns you have been coveting, but haven't bought for one reason or another??
Not really.

That's all, folks! I am off! Mom and Dad are coming in from Indianapolis today to join in the celebration of Erin's fourth (!!!) birthday this weekend. Hope you're all having a great week. I'll try to check back in later!

Jen

1 Comments:

At 9/15/2005 03:56:00 PM, Anonymous Anonyme said...

Great to see your q&a. I have some definite ideas now. You'll hear from me soon. Have a wonderful day!

Secret Pal

 

Enregistrer un commentaire

<< Home