My Bloviation Celebration!

"One woman's life journey of love, laughter, and lipgloss..."

dimanche, janvier 16, 2005

I love lazy Sundays. Especially when I'm in my warm, toasty home surrounded by the people and things I love. Mmmm...the sounds of XM Radio and the smell of quite possibly the most delicious candles ever created (Colonial Candle's Fine Merlot and Fine White Zinfandel...YUM!). Heaven.

I live in good plenty. And for that, I am and always will be eternally grateful. I wonder sometimes why it is that God chose me for this life. When the mass media bombards us with stories of others in pain and sorrow, I wonder why it is that God chose for me to have a different life. When I was growing up, I wanted so desperately to fit in...to be one of the "beautiful people"...to be respected and liked for who I was and to be loved by an amazing guy. And as I got older, I held on to those dreams, always punishing myself for never achieving them. High school was my first real taste of amazing friendships and love. I was definitely the odd woman out in a group of heavy-metal sorts. But they were amazing to me and loved me for who I was. They never missed any of my plays and were constantly there to support me. In college, that followed, and I made amazing friendships and had, for the first time, a taste of romance. (Just as a side note, that "first college relationship" was a nightmare. How can I put this so as to convey to you in a brief yet bold manner the true retchedness of that relationship? An abused, emotionally unhealthy guy broke my spirit and mistreated me and, almost all the while, seduced and whored around with the girl who'd been my best friend for 13 years. How's that? Drive the point home well? *smile* Funny...they're married today and she wonders why it is that I can't be her bestest buddy. I'll tell you this, though. It's quite a hoot reading about their poor sex life at The Marriage Bed...but that's another story!) (Christ, I'm twisted!) OK...anyway...back to the topic at hand. In my adult years, I find that I'm exactly where I wanted to be (but where I never imagined life would take me). I'm very well-employed and married to an amazingly beautiful man whose sun and moon rise and fall to me. We have a healthy, vibrant little girl whose joy and zest for life breathe new energy in to my heart every day. My parents and parents-in-law are beautiful people, blessed with health and love and good lives. I am respected in my profession and my sorority, and have built strong friendships in my personal and professional lives. I am happy. And surrounded by plenty. And I am so thankful for that. I wish there was a way for me to show God how truly thankful I am. Yeah, I know, prayer. But still. Saying "thank you" is hardly a means of showing true gratitude.

I'm telling you all of this because I'm becoming more and more aware of and affected by what's happening in the world around us. It's terrifying to me. You watch CNN. You're not ignorant. You're very well aware of what's going on as we speak. Horrible atrocities, both those of man and those of nature. I hope that you took a few hours out of your lives to watch the tsunami aid concert last night and to give of your blessings to support this noble cause. I won't lie to you. I didn't watch it live. I set our Digital Video Recorder to tape it (I'd die without my DVR!) and went out for dinner with my family. However, we did watch it in its entirety when we got home and we did call in and make a pledge. The pictures tell a heartbreaking and life-changing story. I just am heartbroken. I sat through most of the concert in tears...just broken-spirited and heartsick for these people. I think I hurt most for the little ones...the ones whose entire families are gone and who now have to find the courage to start life anew. Some stories are good...little ones are reunited with families they thought were killed. Others have been adopted and are being loved and cared for by new families. I hate it that all I can do is make a toll-free call and send money. I know it's a good thing to do, but it hardly feels like "enough," if that makes sense. How I'd love to adopt one of those precious children. I know we could never do it (and I've not even DISCUSSED it with my husband), but wow. What a wonderful way to make an impact. Anyway...if you've not made a contribution, it's not too late. Please visit the Red Cross website and learn how you can make a difference.

So anyway, I spent the majority of yesterday sleeping. My body desperately needed the rest, as is evidenced by the fact that I feel worlds better today than yesterday. Maggy's appointment went well, and she didn't yelp or bite when she got her little vaccination. Bless her heart! It did knock her out, though, and so she stayed pretty close to her Momma yesterday and just snuggled up close. The doctor told us that a potential is there for a violent reaction to the medicine, so I wasn't ABOUT to let Maggy out of my sight until I knew she was in the clear. While we were sleeping, Curtis went out to Nebraska Furniture Mart to pick up Erin's furniture, but came home empty-handed. This is the SECOND time that we've had difficulty with them. The entertainment center we ordered for Erin's room was fully-assembled! We made it clear to them that we needed to either (1) have it delivered to us (alongside the other furniture we bought for her) if it was assembled, as neither of our cars can accommodate a huge box or (2) go ahead and pick it up ourselves if the item was in pieces and easily moved. Of course, they SAID it was unassembled when it was, in all actuality, assembled and in a big-assed box. So we've set that up to be delivered alongside Erin's new bed and other furniture. This EXACT SAME THING happened with our entertainment center. After telling them REPEATEDLY that we couldn't purchase a fully-assembled entertainment center (because our basement has a narrow walkway), they delivered to our home, ON THREE OCCASIONS, a fully-assembled entertainment center. Finally, OOPS, that particular model doesn't COME unassembled! (Could you not have told us this WHEN WE ASKED YOU THE FIRST GOD-DAMNED TIME????) So anyway, we were "smart" (duh!) and bought furniture there again, and look, we're right-the-hell back to where we started from! (*le snort*) I swear, as soon as we get this damned furniture, we are DONE with that place! I shall embark upon a mission - FRIENDS DON'T LET FRIENDS SHOP AT NEBRASKA FURNITURE MART! :)

Jennifer