My Bloviation Celebration!

"One woman's life journey of love, laughter, and lipgloss..."

dimanche, octobre 31, 2004

Look What The Cat Drug In...

Hi everyone. OK, I know, I've not posted for a long time. I'm sorry. Suffice it to say that I've been VERY busy and it's been hard to find time to sit down and blog. I'll run through a quick catch-up of "The Very Recent Life Of Jen" in an effort to get everyone back up to speed about what I've been up to. If this isn't of interest to you and you're more "in" to the "here and now," skip the next paragraph. :)

Last weekend was amazing. Our sorority nationally celebrates its commitment to philanthropy in the month of October. Our alumnae chapter had a brief meeting last Saturday (not yesterday, but the Saturday prior) and assembled "Spooky Sacks" for the children at the KU Medical Center. We put together cute little bags filled with Halloween-y goodies (pencils, rubber bugs, etc.) and then the kiddos get something fun to play with on Halloween since they can't receive any edible treats or go Trick-or-Treating. We did this last year, too, and it was very well received by KU Med. Plus, the chapter had fun seeing how creative we all were in our shopping for goodies for the bags! That night, Curt's parents and brother came over for dinner. We had invited them to say an official "thank you" to them for helping Curtis get the fence up (it's done - yay!). Plus, Mom Smith had had knee replacement surgery a few weeks prior and this was the first time we'd gotten the chance to see her since. Prayers answered - she is doing AWESOMELY and is loving her new mobility. The week was busy, too. I flew home to Indianapolis for the third installment of a course I'd been taking called "Flawless Consulting." This is an amazing class...one I'd highly recommend be taken by anyone in a professionally consultative role (or a marriage!) Dan Reid is just a fantastic presenter. Will I use all of the tricks and techniques taught in this class? Probably not in ensemble, but I'll definitely use (and have used already) bits and pieces in my various communicative roles in my personal and professional life. Peter Block has written a book about this and I've got it. I just need to sit down and read it. I highly recommend that you do, too. It never hurts to get more tips on interpersonal communication. OK...so I'm very obviously back in Gardner now. The weekend's been busy, but great. Last night, we took Erin (and a neighbor and her son) to the beautiful Deanna Rose Farmstead for their Halloween event "Return Of The Living Farm." FUN! I highly recommend Deanna Rose to any parent or grandparent in the KC metro area. It's a beautiful facility...and it's free! I believe it's now closed for the winter season, but watch the website for when it'll open again next spring. Apparently Deanna Rose was a local police officer who had a deep love for children and animals. She was killed in the line of duty, and the city created this park in her memory. Throughout the year, the park is open for free, and children can come and explore the beautiful grounds, play in the different parks, and feed the animals. It's just a precious place. We'd love to have Erin's birthday party there in September, but with that being such an iffy month weather-wise, we've always been too afraid to consider it. Maybe next year. Anyway, tonight is the traditional Trick-or-Treat (is it REALLY Halloween? The year has gone by so fast!). Our little Erin will grace us in her precious witch costume, and her grandparents will be here to see her in all her ghoulish glory! I can only hope that the Gardner trick-or-treaters come and mass rob us of all this candy!!! That's just what I need - a houseful of chocolate. (Someday fat will be chic...someday fat will be chic....either that, or chocolate will have a thinning effect!) :)

In the meantime, I've been crocheting my little heart out. I'll go drop off the charity squares at Michaels today. I've finished a scarf for Erin, but need to block it and add the frilly edges. Unfortunately, I left the pattern in Indianapolis, so as soon as Mom and Dad send that to me, I'll get it finished and a photo added for your viewing pleasure. :) I've also started on a new pattern...a backpack! More info to follow.

Oh yeah, and our friends at Greek Gifts Etc. finally responded to my EMAIL inquiry (.e., "where-the-hell-is-my-stuff?") Apparently, two large embroidery orders had come in before mine, but rest assured, I was promised, the order would ship soon. Hmmm...I got one of those orange postal cards in my mailbox telling me to come to the Gardner Post Office and retrieve a package in the mail the other day. It also says I owe $1.10 in postage. We'll see what that is before I make any further snide commentary. :) (Although I'm soooo tempted!)

What else? What else? The election. Christ, just vote for Carrie Bradshaw and be done with it! Yesterday, I got one of those pathetic please-vote-for-me phone calls...but you'll never guess who from! Yes, boys and girls, our man G.W. gave me a ringy ding on the telly yesterday. Apparently, he was just dying to tell me all about how Kris Kobach was the best possible candidate for Congress, and that if he were here, G.W.'d vote for him himself. The problem? The man "talking" to be wasn't G.W. Not even CLOSE. No Southern accent. Pure midwestern tonality. The bastard didn't even TRY to sound like G.W. Unreal. Kobach's a Republican, so I was planning to vote for him, but Christ...now? I might just vote for his loser opponent just to spite Kobach. I am so ready for this election negativity and bullshit to be over with. Smear, smear, smear. I mean, if the only merit of your campaign is to embellish upon and fling the bad of your opponent, what good are you? I don't need to know what other people do, don't, can't, and won't do. Rather, I need to hear what YOU do, don't do, can do, and will do. Oh yeah, and by the way...it's really not necessary for you to say "I'm [insert candidate's name here] and I approve this message." The fact that (1) you're in the commercial and (2) the commercial is about you or (2b) is about how terrible your opponent is and (3) the intent of the message is for folks to join your bandwagon, then (4) I'm basically able to discern that you approve of that message. Thank you, drive through.

OK, I'm off to do some Christmas shopping online. Happy Halloween everyone!