My Bloviation Celebration!

"One woman's life journey of love, laughter, and lipgloss..."

jeudi, octobre 21, 2004

Lather, Rinse, Repeat...

Here we go again. In early 2003, two colleagues got very "in" to crocheting. I was amazed at the beautiful creations they'd put together (including an absolutely gorgeous afghan for Erin), and I begged them to teach me. They did, and I later took an absolutely worthless class at JoAnn's. I was insanely interested in learning everything there was to know about crochet, but yet I still failed to figure out the mechanics of it. I got extremely frustrated and ultimately (after spending beaucoup bucks on yarn and crochet hooks) gave up. Well, the bug has rebitten (as those of you who've read my blog know)...and now, the frustration's starting to set in AGAIN. OK, here's the thing. I'm a college-educated, sharp-cookie sort with an above-average intelligence level. Why is it, then, that the whole concept of crocheting just eludes me? I did finish the squares for the Michaels charity stitch event, but they're not to gauge. I tried, dammit! :) I'm also trying to make a scarf for either myself or Erin (I can't quite decide)...and so far, I'm having absolutely zilcho luck using three VERY pretty yarns (all Lion Brand...THICK & QUICK and POLARSPUN and finally, HOMESPUN). These differently-textured yarns are much more difficult to work with than the 4-ply worsted weights I used to make the Michaels squares. So why can't I get the damned things to work for me? I either can't see the chains or the yarns are so bulky that they split apart. Grrr. A little help would be appreciated. I'll be GOD-damned if I'll go back to JoAnn's and take another class. What I should do is call Debbie, the amazing teacher I had when I took a "Crash Course in Crochet" at The Studio down by the Plaza. Hmmm. She'd probably be pleasantly surprised to see my "Jen-Stitched" (her words) thing-a-ma-bob is finally finished (which reminds me, I need to post a photo of that here)...who knows? Maybe I will call her.

(You know, in the grand scheme of life, my ability to crochet...or the lack thereof...is really not important. You know, we've got a major war going on, the country's divided, people are subjected to terrorist attacks and cruelty on a daily basis all over the world. I live in plenty...good plenty, if I may say so myself...so my incessant bitching about my inability to tie pretty knots is ridiculously petty. OK. I'll shut the hell up about that now.)

On to something equally unimportant in the overall grand scheme of things (but something near and dear to my heart, so humor me). Tonight's "ER" broke my heart. I couldn't even watch the final scene with the mother and the new social worker (I'll get to her in a minute!) and Dr. Carter. I actually had to physically turn my head away. It just ripped my heart out. Curtis was pissed, too. His thought? Her mental condition be damned - she was responsible for the deaths of those beautiful little angels (yes, I'm using that word deliberately...people who saw the show will get it)...she deserves to pay. Christ, it was just awful. Now - the social worker. I read someplace that they're slating her to be a new permanent cast member and a potential "new love interest" for Dr. Carter. This can NOT happen. I will be livid. Absolutely livid. John just lost his son...and the woman he loves is a zillion miles away and is hurting for him. John loves her. The only decent thing for him to do is to leave Chicago, go to Kinshasa, and marry Kem. (OK, yes, I get a little too involved in my shows. Sue me.)

Still no word from the fine folks at Greek Gifts Etc. Dammitalltohell.

Off to bed - before I subject you to any more selfish wailing. :)