My Bloviation Celebration!

"One woman's life journey of love, laughter, and lipgloss..."

jeudi, octobre 14, 2004

A JenPublicServiceAnnouncement(tm)

You are registered to vote, right? I mean, you have exercised your American, freedom-given right to make decisions and to take a part in the governance of our country...right?

If you haven't registered to vote yet, I guess I really can't chastise you too terribly. Hell, I'm 32 and this will be the first election I've ever voted in. I always justified my lack of involvement by saying things like, "Well, I really don't know much about the issues" or "I am not really interested in politics." At the time, I guess I thought those were justifiable reasons. They really weren't, but the world was a different time before today. And I was a different person before today. I'm a wife, a mother, a taxpayer, a homeowner, a Federal employee, and a Catholic whose convictions and moral stances are becoming more rigid by the day. September 11th completely and totally changed my perspective on life, on the world, and about the way I see politics. I certainly don't claim to be a political virtuoso, and I'll admit that I both am ignorant about and am not 150% interested in all of the issues, but I think (no, I know) that it's critical that I stand my ground and place my trust (and give my vote) to the candidate who will represent my interests, perspectives, and needs most closely. As it is with you.

Please, please, please...get registered to vote and cast your ballot on Election Day. We're so fortunate to be given this opportunity to have our voices heard. In today's day and age, and with everything that's going on in our world, we can't afford not to be educated and involved.

(and with that, this JenPublicServiceAnnouncement(tm) ends...)